WAEC withholds results of 113 schools; investigations underway
Posted on: 2013-Sep-11        
  Email to a Friend   Print Format
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) is withholding the results of more than one thousand candidates as it releases the June 2013 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) results on Wednesday.

One hundred and thirteen (113) schools are involved in what WAEC says is the forgery of continuous assessment by school authorities for unqualified candidates to join in the final examinations. Some are also guilty of collusion and cheating as well as teachers who connived and issued answers to candidates in the examination hall.

Principal Public Relations Officer at WAEC, Mrs Agnes Teye-Cudjoe told Joy News these malpractices were reported by "concerned citizens".

Elucidating on the forgery of the continuous assessment, she said the assessment constitutes 30 per cent of the total mark with the final examination accounting for the remaining 70 per cent.

She said candidates involved would have their results cancelled while further action is taken against the school authorities "because they knew very well that what they were doing was wrong".

Stephen Adu, Deputy Director of Ghana Education Service, told Joy News his outfit persistently, as part of their education drive, been telling schools it is wrong to register pupils in second year or have not completed the full basic education course.

He acknowledged that some schools intentionally use unqualified pupils to test the system, but he insisted, "it is not correct".

Mr Adu said, according to the Constitution of the GES, everyone is supposed to go through a compulsory basic education, unlike years past where even primary six pupils are eligible to write common entrance to gain admission to secondary school.

He said the GES would investigate the WAEC report and heads found culpable would be sanctioned depending on the gravity of the offence.

The sanction ranges from demotion, transfer to suspension in worse situation. "The rules are very clear," he stressed.